About the D-word… Diarrhea! April 8, 2022 – Posted in: dogs, supplements, wellness
“Why does my dog have diarrhea?” This is a question we are frequently asked. If your dog has diarrhea, don’t panic! There are many reasons why dogs may experience loose stool:
- Too much play
- Chemical flea & tick preventions
- Transitioning too quickly to a new food
- Bacterial or viral infections
Unless there is an underlying health issue, you can typically clear up diarrhea naturally. Avoid antibiotics (unless medically necessary) because they only stop the symptoms, not the underlying problem. Contact your vet if you ever see blood in your dog’s stool or if diarrhea becomes chronic.
How to clear up diarrhea naturally:
- The fiber in the pumpkin helps bulk up stool and stop diarrhea. Look for 100% pureed pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling.
- Slippery Elm
- Slippery Elm coats the stomach and reduces inflammation. We carry a fantastic product called No More Runs, containing Slippery Elm and other ingredients that calm the stomach and digestive system.
- A daily probiotic is necessary if your dog has chronic digestive issues. Probiotics aid in nutrient absorption and boost your dog’s immune system. It will also help build and restore your dog’s gut lining.
The importance of water & hydration:
If your dog experiences diarrhea, it is essential to keep them hydrated. Raw goat milk, bone broth, and wet food are excellent ways to add extra hydration to your pup’s diet.
Make sure your furry friend is drinking filtered water! Tap water is full of chemicals and contaminants that can irritate your pup’s delicate digestive system and possibly lead to health conditions down the road. Making a small change such as switching from tap to filtered water can significantly impact your pup’s health.
We are here to help! Stop by the store for more information or if you have any questions.
~Your Friends at Family Dog Naturals